This is a classic cake that does not even require a mixer. It can be made by hand with ease still turning out light and fluffy.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 2 cups sugar/caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso (optional)
- 2⁄3 cups melted shortening or oil
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4
- In a 9″ x 13″ pan, sift the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Make 3 holes, one for vinegar, oil and vanilla.
- Pour water over all of it.
- Mix well with a fork. No need to beat.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until done. Each oven will be different. Leave in pan and smear on topping (optional)
Wacky Cake Topping
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 stick butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix well and smear all over the warm cake. Enjoy!