Serve this tasty Vegetable Au Gratin as a meal and even the non-vegetarians will be impressed.
A mixture of steamed vegetables in a cheese sauce is finished off with a crispy breadcrumb topping. It is great as a dish alone or can be served with other things too when it may well serve 6-8.
- 125g/4oz shelled green peas (or frozen)
- 1 medium Brown Onion, peeled and sliced
- 125g/4oz mange tout, topped, tailed and halved
- 200g/7oz broccoli in small florets
- 200g/7oz cauliflower cut small
- 125g/4oz green beans chopped into bite size chunks
- Medium sized red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 125g/4oz wholemeal bread
- ¾ pint/ ½ litre cheese sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Bring a pan of water to the boil.
- Steam the vegetables over the the boiling water so that they are part cooked but not quite fully.
- Prepare the cheese sauce then stir into the part-cooked vegetables. They should end up thoroughly coated with the sauce. Place the mixture into a dish suitable for use under a grill/broiler.
- Use a food processor to turn the bread into crumbs. Optionally add some herbs or paprika into the breadcrumb mix.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the cheesy vegetable mixture then dot with butter. Place under a pre-heated grill for 10-15 minutes so that the breadcrumb topping becomes crisp.
- Serve as a standalone meal or add some beans in sauce to one side for a more filling vegetarian meal.
The vegetables mentioned are really just suggestion because any that are easy to steam would work equally well. Broad beans would be a good example of another one to use. What works best is down to experimenting with what is available.