I have my moments when it comes up with new ways to serve food and this was certainly one of them. It is certainly a different food combination that led me to this meal which, for want of a better name, I have described as Unusual Sausage with Rice Salad. The observant may also have noticed the yorkshire puddings that are on the plate.
It was a lazy meal yet it turned out very well. Continue to the recipe to see what went into the rice salad.
It is certainly an unusual meal. Serving hot sausages and yorkshire pudding with a cold rice salad makes sure of that. It was certainly different .
I would make this unusual sausage with rice salad again though because it came out as a very tasty dish.
- 3 Sausages
- 3 small pre-cooked Yorkshire Puddings
- 150g/6oz leftover Minty Rice and Peas
- 2 Tbsp Sweetcorn
- 50g/2oz Feta or Greek style Cheese
- 1 Tomato
- 1 small Brown Onion
- 1 Egg, hard-boiled
- 1 red Chilli (about 2.5cm/1in in length)
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400&def;F/Gas Mark 6
- Put the sausages into an oven proof dish. Stick into the oven once it is hot. Since the oven is bare with only 3 sausages in there then it is worth adding in extra that can be eaten on the following day.
- Empty the rice and peas into a medium size bowl. Fluff with a fork as the grains of rice will have stuck together a little in storage.
- Spoon in the sweetcorn.
- Take the shell off the egg. Roughly chop then add to the bowl with the rice mixture.
- Top and tail the chilli. Halve lengthwise then scrape out the seeds and the white membrane. Chop finely.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Dice the tomato then add it along with the chilli and onion to the bowl.
- Cut the feta into ½l;cm/¼in cubes and add in with the rest of the salad mixture.
- Spoon around 1½ Tbsp of mayonnaise .
- Grate in salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly so that the mayo and the chilli are evenly spread in the mixture. Pay particular attention to the chilli because it could give a surprise when eating if there was too much in a single bite. Add extra mayo if the salad seems to be too dry.
- Cover the salad and put in the fridge to stay cool.
- Check the sausages as they should be browning and almost cooked. Put the yorkshire puddings into the oven and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes. That will be enough to finish the sausages and crisp the yorkshires. Take them from the oven because they are ready to serve.
- Put the sausages and yorkshires onto a serving plate. Spoon on the salad and your rather unusual sausage with rice salad is ready to serve
Be very careful when chopping the chilli. If you touch your eyes after doing so then it will sting because there will be chilli on your fingers, The safest way is to wash hand thoroughly after cutting a chilli of any description.