Grill up some fresh tuna steak for the best taste. No fresh to hand? No worries because the canned version can easily be turned into a tasty tuna and kidney bean salad. Good for a lunch at home or just seal in a box for lunch on the go.
- 1 410g/14oz can red kidney beans
- 1 185g/6oz can tuna chunks
- ½ medium onion
- 5 tablespoons vinaigrette
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Prepare a vinaigrette to your taste. The finished result shown has a garlic and mustard dressing. Choose the flavours that best suit your palate. Put into the fridge to chill a little.
- Drain the tuna then crumble the chunks into a largish bowl.
- Peel and chop the onion then add to the bowl.
- Drain the kidney beans then rinse well. Add around ¾ to the bowl then mix well together. Add more of the beans if desired or store in the fridge for later use.
- Add the vinaigrette to the mixture and stir well. Season with a little sea salt and black pepper if needed.
- Cover and return to the fridge for around 30 minutes. The flavours from the vinaigrette will infuse into the other ingredients this way.
- Spoon onto plates and serve.
As prepared here, this makes for a filling lunch that can even be eaten on the go. Serve on a bed of rocket/arugula lettuce surrounded by tomato, cucumber and chunks of crusty bread to turn into a dinner.