There will come a day when I turn into a bowl of soup and today was no exception. Soup Alone was lacking for a dinner though so what better way that create this combination of Tomato and Red Pepper Soup with Meatballs. This version is vegetarian but because it is using Veggieballs. The meat eaters among you could replace them with actual meatballs if you so wished.
Soup is a great dish for when a meal is needed in a hurry and this Tomato and Red Pepper Soup with Meatballs is no exception. Strictly, I should say meatless balls because the recipe is using a vegetarian alternative. You could easily substitute your choice of meat to use in preparing the meatballs. I'd suggest a different stock if using meat. Use beef or chicken stock to match the actual meat used.
- 6 Meatballs of your choice
- 250ml/10fl oz Passata (sieved tomato)
- ½ medium Red Pepper
- 1 small brown Onion
- 1 medium Carrot
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 medium Tomato
- 1 Vegetable Stock cube
- 1-2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1-2 tsp dried Basil or 1-2 Tbsp fresh
- Sea Salt
- Grated Black Pepper
- Parmesan or a vegetarian hard cheese
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Place into a large pan.
- De-seed the pepper then chop into smallish chunks.
- Grate the carrot then add to the pan along with the pepper.
- Chop the tomato then scrape into the pan complete with all the juices.
- Pour in the passata then add around 500ml/20 fl oz cold water plus the stock cube and basil. Stir until well mixed.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat and cover. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes. Taste at this point then add tomato paste if the soup needs a flavour boost.
- Add the meatballs into the soup then bring the heat up so that they are fully cooked. The picture shows a vegetarian meatless ball which cooks best directly in the soup and needs 15-20 minutes added cooking time. Actual meatballs are better cooked before adding to the soup to retain their shape then cook in the soup for 5-10 minutes.
- Ladle servings of the soup along with the vegetables into 2 serving bowls. Spoon 3 of the meatballs into each bowl then you are ready to serve.
- Serve with vegetarian hard cheese or parmesan and Rustic Bread
Simply serve the Tomato and Pepper Soup with some rustic bread for a delicious lunch. If the meatless balls lack appeal for a vegetarian option then replace with some red kidney or haricot beans
Recipe By Ian Dixon who can often be found on Google+