Mashed potato is a common accompaniment to many meals. This Sweet Potato Mash brings some variety into an everyday meal and the sweet potato adds colour to the mash too.
- 500g/1lb potatoes
- 250g/8oz sweet potatoes
- Peel the potato and sweet potato then chop into chunks. Place in a pan with a little salt then cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until both potato and sweet potato are softened.
- Drain and return to the pan. Add butter and freshly grated black pepper.
- Mash the two together with either a masher or fork. Make sure the butter has melted in and is thoroughly mixed. Using a masher will result in a smoother texture while the fork will give a fairly coarse end result. Your choice as to which you prefer.
- Serve as you would normal mashed potato. This can also be used as a potato topping in a recipe such as Shepherds Pie.