Sweet and sour green beans are sure to be a favorite… especially to those of us who really enjoy the tang of the sweet and sour sauce. And it couldn’t be easier to make! If your green beans are a bit on the crunchy side, you will find the taste and flavor to be even more enticing instead of mushy.
- 2 Tablespoons oil or butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- dash cinnamon (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 2½ cups lightly-cooked green beans
- Heat oil… add flour and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Add all the other ingredients ~ except the sesame seeds ~ to the mixture in the pot.
- Cover and simmer until the liquid is reduced to about ⅓ of the original amount.
- Once reduced, the sauce will be a bit thicker and will flavor the beans nicely.
- Pour over the cooked green beans, sprinkle with the sesame seeds, mix and enjoy!
Feel free to experiment with the amounts of sugar and vinegar. Adjust them to your taste and liking. Try adding a touch of the juice of pickled peaches or pickled pears to this dish for a varied taste sensation.