This very simple store cupboard fish pie involves very little preparation. It uses ingredients that many will have available in the cupboard.
Something that is good for use on a busy day when a meal is needed quickly.
- 2 185g tins of tuna flakes, drained
- 1 packet instant mash
- Cheese sauce mixture plus milk if required for it.
- 50-100g/2-4oz Grated Cheese
- Dried onion flakes
- dried garlic flakes
- Dried Parsley
- (Optional) 3 hardboiled eggs
- If hard boiled eggs are being used then cook them and allow to cool.
- Pour a little boiling water onto the onion flakes. Grate in dried garlic and dried parsley to taste. Leave to soak for a few moments.
- Make up around 500ml/1 pint of cheese sauce according to the instructions.
- Add boiling water to the instant mash powder according to the pack instructions. Stir well to mix then add a little of the cheese and some butter. Add salt and pepper to taste then mix again.
- Drain the water from the onion flakes, parsley and garlic mixture. Stir into the cheese sauce along with the drained tuna and mix well. Pour the mixture into a grill proof dish.
- If using the hard boiled eggs then shell and slice. Layer over the sauce mixture.
- Spoon the mashed potato over the mixture then top with grated cheese. Grill/Broil until the cheese is bubbling then serve with peas or salad.
Not necessarily the best way to make a fish pie but it uses ingredients that can frequently be found in the store cupboard. It is also a fast approach that can have a dinner for 4 ready in a very small number of minutes.