Stewed tomatoes are a delicious, slightly sweet concoction of tomatoes, peppers and onions. Can be used in so many different ways…
- 2 pounds/450g tomatoes, large dice
- 2 Tbsp onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp green bell pepper, minced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp granulated sugar/caster sugar
- ½ – 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Saute the diced onion and pepper in the butter. When softened, add the tomatoes.
- Gently cook for about 15 minutes, covered.
- Add the sugar, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 15 minutes. If you want it even thicker, add some flour or cornstarch/cornflour to the tomatoes. Cook until the thickness you desire is achieved.
- The tomatoes should be nice and soft and slightly thickened with a sheen to them. Add them to recipes that call for tomatoes for a great change of pace…