Steaming is a great way to cook because it is almost a one pan solution which reduces the cleaning after the meal.
This Steamed Chicken Dinner is no exception to that with only the gravy made outside the steamer. The meal turns out delicious and takes little time to prepare too.
- 4 frozen chicken breasts (about 450g/1lb total)
- 2 cans New Potatoes
- Mugful of frozen baby or sliced carrots
- Mugful of frozen green beans
- 275ml/10 fl oz Gravy
- Set the steamer up with enough water to cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Put the chicken pieces into the first steamer basket then st it over the base.
- Add the carrots and green beans to the second basket. Sprinkle on a little salt if desired. Set over the chicken,
- Drain and rinse the potatoes then put into the third basket. That one is on top.
- Cover and turn the steamer on. Cooking time should be about 30 minutes so leave to cook.
- Once things are almost done then prepare the gravy. Be careful here because the gravy needs to be hot as the food cools a little when it is served. Follow the instructions for the brand that you are using. Keep hot. Tip – Stand the container with the gravy in over the still hot steamer.
- Take four serving plates then divide the contents of each steamer basket evenly between them.
- Pour gravy onto each plate then dinner is ready to serve. Salt and pepper is always good to have in order to add a little extra.
Steamed chicken may lack the brown coating of the roasted version. The taste is still there and it is, in a number of ways, easier to cook.
Use other vegetables if you prefer them because there is no rule on this. Most will cook up just great in the steamer and give a great steamed chicken dinner.