How easy is it making bread? Very easy when you use this spoon bread recipe. Try it for a delight that will be sure to please everyone.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- In a large bowl, place the cornmeal and the boiling water. Stir, cover and cool.
- Add the salt, sugar and beaten egg.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the buttermilk and add the oil. Mix well and add to the first mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a deep, greased baking dish.
- Bake in a 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until done.
Makes 1 loaf