Now I would have to say that curry does not play a major part in my diet. That said, I do like a curry dish on occasion and this yellow split pea biryani was just the thing. Cooked in the slow cooker so the the flavours could mingle. My curry awaits for dinner!
- 3 medium sized potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 large brown onion
- 1 large mushroom
- About ½ cup yellow split peas
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed
- 1 litre/35 fl oz vegetable stock
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- About ½ cup basmati rice
- 1 Tbsp curry powder (strength to taste)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Add the olive oil to a slow cooker turned to the high setting and allow to heat
- Peal and slice the onions. Add to the slow cooker. Stir to coat with the oil.
- Chop the mushrooms then add in to the slow cooker. Add in the garlic then stir to mix well.
- Scrub the potatoes and carrots to remove any residual dirt. Scrape the surface.
- Dice the potato into bite-sized chunks. Slice the carrot into thin coins. Add both into the slow cooker along with the yellow split peas and the curry powder then mix to coat.
- Pour in the vegetable stock then cover the pot to allow it to reach temperature. This takes about an hour at which point the temperature should be turned to low and the curry sauce allowed to cook for 2-3 hours. Then turn off and leave to stand overnight.
- The following day is time to finish off. Set the slow cooker on high for an hour to get the curry mixture up to temperature. Add in the basmati rice and continue to cook on high for an hour. More stock or water may be needed at this stage.
- Reduce the heat to low then continue to cook until all the ingredients are ready. Add a little additional salt and pepper if the added flavour is required.
- This can be served in bowls as it is cooked. You could also add poppadoms, naan or chapatti. Mango chutney is also one to consider. However it can be enjoyed alone if desired.
A simple yet warming curry dish that takes very little time on the preparation but provides a hearty meal. One reason that I so love to use a slow cooker.