Looking for a quick lunch to go?
This Spicy Tuna and Kidney Bean Salad could be just the thing.
It is quick to prepare and then just needs to be put into a wide neck vacuum flask to keep cool for lunch time. Simply fix a fork to the side of the flask with a rubber band in order to enjoy the food.
Of course, it can be prepared to eat at home too.
Variations of Tuna and Kidney Bean Salad are a common dish in my household. Easy to prepare and healthy too. This version differs from my more common approach because I normally use vinaigrette. This time it was the turn of some mayonnaise to go in the bowl. Add in some minced red chilli for a little bite to the dish and the food is ready to go.
- 2 185g/6oz Cans Tuna in water
- 1 410g/14oz Can Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Medium size Brown onion
- 6 Tbsp Mayonnaise or Salad Cream
- ½ tsp Minced Garlic
- ¼ tsp Crushed Red Chilli (or to taste)
- Sea Salt
- Grated Black Peppercorns
- Open and drain the can of kidney beans. Put in a sieve or colander and rinse well with cold water. Set aside over a plate or bowl to allow any excess water to drain off.
- Peel and chop the onion before placing into a large bowl.
- Drain the tuna then add to the onion. Mix to break up the tuna chunks.
- Add the kidney beans to the bowl along with the garlic and chilli.
- Spoon inthe mayonnaise or salad cream then mix well. Everything should be well-coated.
- Cover the bowl and chill in the fridge for an hour or until ready to eat..
- Remove from the fridge then stir again to mix the mayo back in with the rest of the mixture. Taste and add in some salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with some cream crackers as I did or you could choose some Rustic Bread. Whichever you choose just eat and enjoy
A shortcut to preparing this salad is to keep a can of tuna and a can of kidney beans in the fridge. That way they are already chilled so the ingredients simply need to be mixed together before serving.
This serves 2 for a fairly generous meal. It can also be used as a side dish when there should be plenty for 4.
For a meal to go, simply store in the fridge overnight along with a wide-neck and unsealed vacuum flask. Before leaving next, simply spoon a serving of salad into the flask then seal. It will stay cool until time to eat
Last updated: 6 May 2014 to clarify some of the instruction.