This very simple spicy onion and tomato relish is something I came up with when I had two of my kids staying with me and was making dinner for us all. Everything was there for the french stick pizza that we were making but there was nothing to accompany the pizza. Fortunately, I had onions, tomato paste and paprika available so decided to experiment with a combination of those ingredients. It turned into a delicious side dish for the pizza and is still much in demand.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- White wine vinegar or other vinegar to your taste
- Paprika powder to taste
- Black pepper
- Peel the onion then chop into fairly small pieces.
- Mix with the tomato paste and add a little vinegar to thin it out.
- Season with paprika, salt and pepper to taste then stir until the paste has evenly coated the chopped onion.
- Serve and enjoy!!!
An alternative for this spicy onion and tomato relish is to substitute either chilli powder or crushed red chilli for the paprika.