Cooking sausages in the microwave is far from the best way but it does work when you are feeling lazy. Which is just what I was feeling when I needed something for lunch.
Meet my Sausage Stuffed Pitta which only takes a few minutes to prepare.
It is hardly even worth writing a recipe for but here you go for the sake of completeness.
It may not be the worlds greatest of foods but it is really easy to make. Now sausages are far from their best when cooked in the microwave. It does work though and, when you want a quick lunch, it is a shortcut worth using. Adding some onion gives the final sandwich that little bit of extra flavour.
- 1 Pitta Bread
- 2 Sausages
- 1 small Brown Onion
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sauce
- Peel and chop the onion. Put into a bowl that is safe for the microwave.
- Add the sausages on top then set to cook for about 3 minutes on full power,
- Meanwhile, heat the pitta in the toaster so that it softens a little..Turn so it cooks evenly.
- Carefully take the sausages and onions from the microwave. They will be hot so use a cloth or oven glove then set the the bowl onto a a heat proof surface.
- Slice the pitta bread open. If it cuts as a pocket then even better but it may well come out as two slices.
- Slice the sausages lengthwise then put onto one side of the pitta.
- Add on the cooked onion.
- Spoon on brown sauce to taste then add a little salt.
- Close up with the second side of the pitta then eat. Be warned that it can be a little messy as the brown sauce tends to ooze out from between the pitta slices. Best eaten over a plate with a supply of napkins close to hand.
To make this into something a little more substantial then add a few frozen chips. Put them into the microwave the with sausage and onion and let them cook, You may need to cook them for slightly longer than the rest to ensure that they are cooked through.