This makes a delicious meal for the family.
Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 2 pounds sausage, cut into 6 – 8 inch pieces each
- 1 package of 8 sub rolls (larger than hot dog rolls)
- 2 large cans (28 ounces each) whole, peeled tomatoes – including juice
- 3-4 large peppers, cut into thick strips
- 2-3 large onions, cut into large chunks
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, place the cut sausages and sear on high heat.
- Put the remaining ingredients into the saucepan along with the sausages.
- Crunch up the tomatoes to break them up so they cook down a bit during the cooking process.
- Stir gently so as not to break apart the sausages as well as mix everything together.
- At this point you can cover the pot and turn the burner to low.
- Simmer everything on low for a minimum of 2 hours or more.
- When done, the sausage and vegetables will be very fork tender.
- Put a sausage into one of the rolls and top with the veggies and juice.
A taste sensation that few will be able to beat!
This recipe is excellent when done in the slow cooker. Put everything into the slow cooker and turn on low for at least 12 hours. A more tender meal will be difficult to find.
For a change, turkey sausages also make an excellent substitute for the pork sausages.