From a great weekend of cooking when I came up with the idea for this Sausage Egg Cauliflower Curry. It is a pretty easy thing to cook in the steamer too.
Part of the base is Minty Rice n Peas which is something that cooks very well in the steamer. Then just pile in the sausage, egg, cauliflower and curry sauce for the base mixture.
Add a few extras for extra flavour. This version has onion and green beans but the options are almost limitless.
The final taste is excellent and well worth making. So easy to vary the taste too by changing the actual curry sauce that is used. This is definitely on my list of things to cook again.
For curry lovers then this is an easy choice. This Sausage Egg Cauliflower Curry is very straightforward to prepare and is an easy cook option when using a steamer.Easy to vary the finished result by changing either the exact flavour of the curry sauce or the actual vegetables used.
- 50g/2oz Long Grain Rice
- 50g/2oz Peas
- 1-2 tsp Mint Sauce
- 4-6 Sausages
- 2 hard boiled Eggs
- 1 500g jar Curry Sauce
- ½ head Cauliflower
- 1 medium size brown Onion
- Handful sliced Green Beans
- You can check out the full recipe at Minty Rice n Peas but here is basically what is needed.
- Add the rice to a steamable bowl then cover with water. Use about twice as much water as there was rice.
- Add the peas plus the mint sauce and a little salt. Put the bowl into the bottom basket of the steamer.
- These are going into the second steamer basket so start with the onion. Peel then cut into 6-8 pieces. Put into the steamer basket.
- Peel the outer green leaves from the cauliflower then cut off some large florets. Your choice on how much of a stem to leave on them. They go in with the onion.
- Add the cut green beans in alongside to complete the vegetable part of this meal.
- This is the third layer for the steamer. Starter by arranging the sausages at one side of the basket. Use as many as you think your appetite will stand. Two per person is normally reasonable but some may prefer to increase that to three.
- Shell the eggs then put them whole into a steamable bowl.
- Pour the curry sauce into the bowl so that the eggs get covered. You may find that the whole jar is unnecessary so save any extra in the fridge for another day. Cover loosely to keep the steam out. It will make the sauce very watery without covering. Keep the cover a loose one though so that the mixture heats through but never blows the seal.
- Set the egg and curry sauce mix into the top steamer basket alongside the sausages.
- Put the cover on the top of the steamer and turn on. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Divide out each of the ingredients between two serving plates. You may find that the quantity of rice is excessive. In which case, set the extra to one side to use the following day.
- Serve hot from the steamer. Include Naan, Chapati or Bread if you would prefer a little extra to what is already a substantial meal
This works off the base of the Experimental Chefs staple of Minty Rice n Peas because that is such an excellent rice base. You can easily vary the rice part if you prefer a different taste though. Simple rule from recipes on Experimental Chefs is that we are simply giving you ideas. It is up to you how you choose to use them.