Sausage and Macaroni Loaf is a fun way to have “Mac ‘n Cheese” with a surprise. The combination of the sausage with the macaroni with cheese is absolutely delicious!
- 2 pounds link sausage
- 1 cup macaroni
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ pound grated cheese
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni in boiling water until tender – according to package directions.
- Make a white sauce by combining butter and flour.
- Gradually add milk and cook until thickened.
- Put the grated cheese into the white sauce and melt.
- Add the beaten eggs and the macaroni. Now add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown the sausage links in a frying pan and place them in a border around the inside of a loaf pan. If using large sausages, cut them in half lengthwise and place the cut edge against the loaf pan.
- Pour the macaroni mixture inside the sausage border.
- As an option, you can save 1⁄3 of the grated cheese to sprinkle on top of the casserole loaf to give it a cheesy texture.
- Bake in a 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve with tomato sauce.