Traditional British food at its best with this Sausage and Egg Sandwich combined with a coating of brown sauce for added flavour. Back when I would first eat this, the bread would have been white as wholemeal was uncommon. These days it is much easier to buy so this sandwich has switched to that.
Tuck into this great British tradition.
This Sausage and Egg Sandwich is not untypical of what could often by found in a British lunchbox when I was young The difference then was that the eggs came from the hens on the allotment and the sausage came from the local butcher. Still eaten to this day as can be seen from the pictures here.
- 2 cooked and chilled Sausages
- 1 hard-boiled Egg
- 2 slices Wholemeal Bread
- Butter or Olive spread
- Brown Sauce
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Thinly coat both slices of bread with butter or olive spread.
- Spread one slice with Brown Sauce to taste then place onto a sandwich plate.
- Halve the sausage lengthwise then place on top of the brown-sauce coated bread.
- Peel then slice the hard-boiled egg. Layer evenly over the sausage.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with the second slice of bread then halve either on a diagonal or across the middle.
- Serve with strong tea or a glass of milk
Brown Sauce is best known as HP Sauce in Britain. Tomato Ketchup could be substituted for it in this sandwich as they are a similar consistency.