It comprises a wholemeal roll, a sausage sliced thin and a sliced hard boiled egg. Add some mayonnaise and pepper for a great butty.
Simplicity and speed of preparation comes from cooking the sausage and egg in advance. That only leaves a little slicing involved to get lunch ready.
Cooking Time: 5 mins
- 1 Bread Roll
- 1 or 2 hard boiled Eggs
- 1 or 2 cooked Sausages
- Mayonnaise or Salad Cream
- Butter, Olive Spread or Margarine
- Slice the bread roll then optionally spread with butter or other spread. Put onto a plate.
- Shell then slice the egg. Layer the slices onto the open roll.
- Thinly slice the sausage on the diagonal then layer that on with the egg.
- Add a little mayonnaise or salad cream.
- Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper
- Close up the two halves of the bread roll then sit down to eat and enjoy a great lunch.
Add extra flavour by smearing the bread roll with either mustard or horseradish before filling with the sausage and egg. Or use another flavour to match your own taste. Or experiment and be different every time.
How many sausages and eggs to use for this is very reliant on the size of the bread roll. That, in turn, is determined by appetite.
For myself, I will go for a smallish roll with one sausage and one egg. Others may want a more substantial lunch meaning a larger roll and therefore go up to two of each.
One for each to call because there is no single answer.
The time for preparation does assume that the eggs and sausages were cooked in advance. I do them both in batches so I can reduce cooking time while having food readily available.