Potato can get boring as an accompaniment to a meal yet there are ways around it if you experiment. These Rosemary Roasted New Potatoes are delicious and easy to prepare. Just pop them into the oven while something else is cooking in there and they will be ready to serve along with your main course.
- 500g/1lb Small New potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh Rosemary, finely chopped or 1-2 tsp of the dried variety.
- Start the oven heating to 200°C/400°F.
- Mix the olive oil and rosemary together in a baking tin that is large enough to hold all the potatoes in a single layer. Put the Baking tin into the oven while it is still heating. Saves on energy costs because it takes less time for the tin to reach the right temperature.
- Wash and dry the potatoes while the oil and herb mixture is heating.
- Once the oven has reached temperature and the oil is thoroughly heated, carefully remove the baking tin from the oven using a thick cloth or oven glove.
- Add the potatoes into the oil and herb mixture, being careful of any water still on them as that will make the hot fat spit. Stir so the potatoes are coated in the oil mixture then return to the oven.
- Cooking time depend on the size of the new potatoes. The ones I used to do this were all about 2.5cm/1in in length and took about 30 minutes to come to a nice and crispy finish. Check on them occasionally to see how they are doing.
- Once the potatoes are almost cooked then increase the oven temperature. This crisps them a little to add to the flavour.
- Serve with your choice of main course.