Roasting the chicken on top of the vegetable ratatouille gives a very tender finish with a little crispness on the chicken to improve things.
All told, it was a most delicious meal.
Roast Chicken Ratatouille
Preparation Time: 60 mins
- 4 Chicken Breasts about 125g/4oz each
- 1-2 Brown Onions
- 4-6 Tomatoes
- 1 large Courgette/Zucchini
- Aubergine/Egg Plant
- 1-2 red Peppers
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 tsp fresh Basil
- (Optional)Grated Parmesan or similar
- Set the oven to heat to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Peel then coarsely chop the onion.
- Halve or quarter the tomatoes depending on their size.
- Cut the top and bottom from the red pepper the deseed and cut out the whit inner flesh. Chop coarsely.
- Top and tail the courgette then slice into thick chunks. I like to start by cutting along the length then slice fairly thickly across the width. It gives more pieces for the finished ratatouille.
- Cut each end from the aubergine then dice into pieces about 2.5cm/1in in size.
- Pour one Tbsp of olive oil into a large ovenrproof dish then add the basil. Stir to mix together.
- Add all the vegetables then stir so they get coated with the oil/basil mix. Add a little extra oil in if it seems needed then flatten everything in the dish.
- Layer the four pieces of chicken breast on top of the vegetables and brush with a little olive oil. If using parmesan then sprinkle that on.
- Put into the oven and cook for 40 minutes until the chicken is turning golden and the vegetables are softening.
- Once cooked then spoon a piece of chicken onto each of 4 plates. Divide the ratatouille between each to have a tasty dinner that is ready to serve.
It is a matter of personal preference as to whether the chicken breast that gets used should be ‘skin on’ or ‘skin off’. I have no personal preference and would eat either.