For lunch today, I combined some of my favourite ingredients which combined very well together to make a delicious Red Kidney Bean, Egg and Tomato Salad.
Tomatoes are slightly expensive so they are a bit of a luxury. I had some available to use for lunch today though. Red Kidney Beans come in a can from the supermarket at a really low price and they are very filling so I always have them on hand. Eggs are just a superfood that I am unable to do without.
So combine the three together with a little more to come up with a great lunch of Red Kidney Bean, Egg and Tomato Salad.
Vary the final flavour by changing the ingredients used to make the vinaigrette dressing.
Red Kidney Beans are a great staple food that are sure to fill you up. Eggs are a great source of protein to add a little more to the mix. Add Tomato for some added flavour plus Onion and Vinaigrette to end up with a great tasting salad.
Serve with some crusty bread to soak up excess vinaigrette.
- 400g/14oz can Red Kidney Beans
- 2 large hard-boiled Eggs
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized Brown Onion
- 4-5 Tbsp Vinaigrette
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- (Optional)A little fresh Parsley
- Drain the can of Kidney Beans then rinse well. Put into a large bowl
- Peel and finely chop the Onion then add to the Beans.
- Carefully shell the Egg being sure to remove any stray pieces of shell. Chop into small pieces then add in to the mixture.
- Cut the Tomatoes into quite small pieces. Scrape from the chopping board into the bowl with the other ingredients. The aim is to get all the juices from the tomatoes into the mixture.
- Add in about 3 Tbsp of Vinaigrette and mix well. Taste to see how it is working as this might be enough. Keep adding a little more Vinaigrette until the salad tastes right.
- It can be served immediately or it can be chilled. The choice is yours. Either way, it makes for a delicious lunch or a great starter. Sprinkle on a little fresh Parsley when serving if you want to add a little extra taste.
It stands alone but other vegetables can always be added. Grate in Carrot or Cucumber to get a different effect. Try adding some slices of Radish. Try anything that appeals and see how it works!
If it fails to appeal then all that you have lost is one attempt. Next time take a slightly different approach until you reach your perfect version.
Variations on Red Kidney, Egg and Tomato Salad
Kidney Beans are an excellent base for a Salad. There are several other recipes here on Experimental Chefs that use them for exactly that purpose.