A bit of forward planning can help too. Keep an unopened can of kidney beans and one of tuna in the fridge so that they are already chilled when the time comes to turn them into this salad.
Serves 2 as a Main, 4 as an Accompaniment
- 185g can of Tuna chunks in water, drained
- 400g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- One medium onion, peeled and chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Sea Salt
- Black Peppercorns
- In a largish bowl, break up the tuna chunks so that the pieces are fairly small.
- Stir in the red kidney beans and the chopped onion then mix together well.
- Add grated sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil to taste. Stir until everything is well mixed.
- Chill if desired as that can help the flavours mix together and enhance the end taste
- Serve with some lettuce, some tomato, some apple and some cucumber as a main dish. Alternatively, place in a bowl and serve as an accompaniment to something like pizza or with breads such as foccacia.
A very simple recipe yet it can easily be experimented with. Try adding in some chopped pepper for one or you could always go for jalapeno pepper for a spicier experience. Raw celery does not agree with me so I personally avoid that.
Be an experimental chef. Take the recipe and turn it to one that is your own. Cooking in that way is much more fun.