Not your “normal” coffee cake. This one uses coffee! Very reminiscent of the old-fashioned coffee cake “grandma” used to make…
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup very strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (dissolve in coffee)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pound raisins
- 1 pound currants
- 4 cups all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together. Dissolve the baking soda in the strong coffee, and add the eggs. Mix well.
- Into the flour, add the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, raisins, currants and salt. Mix well.
- Alternate adding the coffee/egg mix with the flour mix into the butter and sugar. Mix well after each addition until everything is added.
- Place batter into greased and floured loaf pans. Bake in a 350°(F) oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until done.
NOTE: If you wish to use this as a fruit cake, add candied fruits and nut meats to the batter.
Yield: 1 coffee cake