While I love to cook there are times when I want to get a meal ready very quickly. These are the times when I resort to the food cupboard to grab the things I keep for just that purpose. This Quick Bean and Vegetable Soup takes advantage of supermarket budget brands yet produces a delicious meal in a very short time and at a very low cost.
Just keep some cans of vegetable soup and some of baked beans in the cupboard. Both are a great base for a meal in a hurry as this recipe shows.
- 2 400g/14oz cans Vegetable Soup
- 1 400g/14oz can Baked Beans
- 2 stock cubes
- Paprika Powder
- Ground Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Empty the tins of vegetable soup and baked beans into a large pan or microwavable bowl. Stir well to mix together
- Rinse the baked bean tin with about half a can of water to get the remaining sauce out. Pour that first into one soup tin then into the second to rinse them too. Add the mixture to the pan or bowl and stir well to combine. Add more water if the mixture appears to be too thick for your taste.
- Add in the stock cube plus paprika and black pepper to taste.You can vary the taste of the final soup by the type of stock cubes that are used. A Vegetable cube gives a soup for vegetarians. Meat or Fish stock works well too.
- For pan cooking, just bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes.
- Microwave times will vary according to your oven. Cover well and cook for 5-6 minutes then stir well. Maybe another 3-4 minutes will get everything cooked through. Be sure that the food is piping hot before serving.
- Add in a little salt if needed and some more pepper according to taste then serve with your choice of bread.
- 2 cans vegetable soup – 48p
- 1 can Baked Beans – 24p
- Bread – 25p
- Paprika – 2p
- Salt and Pepper – negligible
Total cost for 4 people – 99p