Popcorn Balls have been delighting children of all ages for countless years.
This easy and fun recipe will have you making them time and time again!
Yield: 18 – 24
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar/caster sugar
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 3½ quarts popped corn
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Put the sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add butter and continue cooking – without stirring – until the temperature reaches 240°F/115.5°C on a candy thermometer or when the mixture forms a soft ball when tested in cold water.
- Put the popped corn in a large bowl and sprinkle with salt.
- Pour the hot syrup over it and mix thoroughly.
- Shape into small to medium-sized balls and when cooled, wrap in waxed paper, foil or plastic wrap.
This is a wonderful recipe to do with children. Not only do they love to eat the sweetened popcorn, but they also love forming them into the popcorn balls. If you wet your hands while forming the popcorn, they won’t stick to your fingers.