It really needs a better name because just calling it Paprika Fish and Tomato Soup fails to give justice to this creation. One to tend for several hours in the slow cooker to really draw out the flavour.
It is a fairly simple mix of fish fillet and sieved tomato. Add in some potato for a little bulk and some mushrooms to add flavour. Some paprika to add a little spice too.
A great combination of fish and tomato into a soup. Add paprika to give a little spice too. Turns into a wonderful soup that is easy to make.
- 100g White Fish Fillet
- 100g White Potato
- 1 small Brown Onion
- 3 largish white Mushrooms
- 500ml Passata or 400g can chopped Tomato
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Slice the potatoes and put in the slow cooker pot. There is no need to peel as the best nutrients are close to the skin.
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the pot. I cheated for this one by using frozen sliced ones.
- Peel and chop the onion then sling in the pot.
- Spoon in paprika to taste. Around 1 tsp is a good amount but add more or less according to your taste.
- Put in the piece of fish.
- Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper. Not too much at thish stage because this is something best adjusted as the soup cooks.
- Add in the Passata. If using chopped Tomato as an alternative then I would suggest running them through the blender to get the right consistency. Passata is my preferred option for this recipe.
- Pour in an equal volume of water,. The best way is to fill the container that the tomato came in with water the pour that into the pot. It has the advantage of rinsing of the last of the tomato so a little extra ends up in the soup.
- Cover the slow cooker pot and set to cook on high for two hours.
- Stir the contents of the slow cooker then reduce the heat to low
- Cook on the lower temperature for a further two hours
- The soup will now be cooked and ready to eat. I would continue to the next stage.
- Anything with tomato in tastes better when given a few hours to mature and this is no exception.
- Leave the soup in a cool place overnight.
- The following day then set the slow cooker on high around 2 hours before you want to serve it
- Ensure it is piping hot before serving as your cooker will differ from mine.
- You can eat this soup just as it is but it goes great with a slice of bread
An easy slow cooker one that tastes delicious. Try it out because it is is prepared in minutes