Well, I could have used actual Chicken for this slow cooker dish. Instead I used a soy alternative to come up with a Not Quite Chicken Soup. Mix in some vegetables then leave to cook in the slow cooker for a few hours.
Delicious, filling and meat-free.
- A handful of chicken-style pieces
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- Small brown onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes diced into bite size chunks
- Medium carrot scraped and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp thyme or ½tsp if using dried
- Vegetable stock cube
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Turn the slow cooker to high. Put in the olive oil, garlic and thyme then allow to heat for around 5 minutes.
- Add in the potato, carrot, onion, pepper and chicken-style pieces. Stir well to mix the oil around and get everything well-coated.
- Add around 900ml/1¾ pints/4-5 cups of water plus the vegetable stock cube.
- Cover then cook on high for 2 hours or so. The contents of the slow cooker should be starting to soften a little by this point
- Spoon in the tomato puree and mix well. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for 2-3 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then it is ready to serve.
It tastes great eaten straight from the pot. Some crusty bread to dip in will do no harm or some breadsticks are always good with soup.