I prefer fresh produce where possible. Yet, sometimes, time considerations mean that something in a tin or jar can provide a much quicker alternative that is still healthy.
Baked Beans and Tinned Tomatoes are obvious ones to have to hand because they are so versatile. Soups are also a useful thing to have since they can provide a quick lunch with the addition of some bread or crackers.
So lets look at what I like to have in my storecupboard.
- Baked Beans because they are good on toast and can also be used to add to another meal.
- Tomatoes where I tend to buy the chopped variety although I do enjoy tomatoes on toast. A can of these with some added stock and milk gives a very quick Tomato Soup.
- Vegetable Soup is another convenience food. There is some Chicken Soup in there too. Both are good as a lunch and can easily make a filling dinner.
- Tuna Chunks are certainly not one of my favourites yet they can be mixed with Mayo to make a filling for a sandwich or a baked potato.
- Jars of ready-made sauce are a good standby. I have a sweet and sour and a chilli in there which I can use for a quick dinner.
- Mixed Beans in water which makes a good salad when mixed with chopped onion and Vinaigrette.
- Pease Pudding is one of those things from my childhood that I like to have to hand. Sliced Ham and Pease Pudding in a Bread Roll with a little Mustard is yummy
- Ratatouille can be eaten as a meal alone with a little parmesan or it can be used to accompany something else.
- Macaroni Cheese is another one that can be quickly heated and served topped with some cheese. Add some Rustic Bread for a filling meal.
There is more in there than just those listed. All are things worth having available for those times that you want to rustle up a quick meal though. The observant will easily spot the supermarket that I use from the contents of that cupboard.