Serve as pictured for a tasty lunch or share that plate between two as a great starter.
Serves 4 as lunch, 8 as a starter
- 8 hard-boiled large Eggs
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 2 medium Brown Onions
- 200g/7oz Mixed Salad
- 1-2 Tbsp Mayonnaise or Salad Cream
- 1 tsp Yellow prepared Mustard
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- (Optional) Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 8 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- (Optional) 2 or 3 cloves Garlic
- Start by preparing the balsamic dressing, preferably in advance to allow the flavour to develop fully. The easiest way to do this is to measure the balsamic vinegar and olive oil into a clean, airtight jar. Peel and quarter the Garlic if using and add to the jar. Add a little salt and pepper if desired then seal the jar and shake well to mix. Put in the fridge overnight to allow the flavour to develop.
- Put the salad mixture into a large bowl.
- Peel and finely chop the onion then add to the mixed salad.
- Add in 3-4 Tbsp of Balsamic Dressing and stir well. Cover the bowl and put into the fridge to keep cool.
- Shell the eggs being careful to remove any stray pieces. Crunching on a piece of egg shell is far from a pleasant dining experience. Slice in half lengthways then use a teaspoon to scoop the yolk into a small bowl.
- Add the mustard and 1 Tbsp mayonnaise to the egg yolks. Salt and pepper to taste then use the teaspoon or a fork to mash together to a smooth paste. If the mixture seems on the dry side then add a little more mayonnaise to achieve the desired consistency.
- Evenly divide the mixture between each of the egg white containers then set aside while preparing the remainder.
- Slice the Tomato and Cucumber into thin pieces.
- Take the salad from the fridge and stir well to get an even coating of balsamic dressing. Spoon evenly into the centre of 4 serving plates.
- Arrange tomato and cucumber around the edges of each plate.
- Place 4 pieces of egg onto the bed of Salad.
- Sprinkle over a little paprika if desired.
- Spoon a little balsamic dressing over the cucumber and tomato.
- Serve immediately.
Some people prefer to toss salad in a dressing immediately before serving. My preference is to allow the flavours to fuse together. The choice is there so adopt personal preference to achieve your preferred taste.
There are so many possible ways that this recipe can be varied yet still be close to the one shown here. For instance, Rice Vinegar makes for a different flavour for the dressing. Then the exact mix for the salad base can very easily be changed. Shredded red cabbage is a tasty one to try just as an example.
Make more of a meal of it. This Balsamic and Mustard Devilled Eggs recipe is a light meal in its own right. Add more to it with some crusty Bread and some houmous or other bean-based spreadable to turn it into a filling dinner.