Mmmmm, mushroom and barley soup is a wonderfully, filling soup that tastes absolutely delicious. The earthy, fragrant mushrooms and the chewy barley are so good that you’ll be looking for helping #2 very quickly.
- 1 quart/1 litre bouillon, vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup/200g barley
- 3 cups/300g sliced mushrooms (portabella are very good to use, but any mushroom will do)
- 1 onion, peeled and diced small
- 2 carrots, grated
- handful of parsley leaves, chopped coarse
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of dill (optional)
- In a large saucepan, saute onions until they are just translucent.
- Add the mushrooms to the onions and saute them as well.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, cook the barley until just done (check package directions) and set aside.
- Add the bouillon, stock or water plus the grated carrot and herbs to the pot.
- Bring to the boil then cook over a low to medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Add the barley to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup come to the boil. Remove and discard the bay leaf, then serve.
Either crackers or rustic bread are good along with this Mushroom and Barley Soup.