Potato is always a good starting point for a meal and this Jacket with Tomato, Mushroom and Cheese is no exception.
Good for lunch if you are somewhere that it can be prepared. Equally good as a light meal later in the day.
This version may seem on the small side for some as it only uses half a potato per person. No problem because then you just double up for each person so that each has a bigger plate and a whole potato.
- 1 potato for baking
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 large Mushrooms
- Thin sliced Cheese
- Wash and dry the potato then remove any nasty looking bits.
- Use a sharp knife to cut in lengthwise. Just enough to make an opening rather than to slice the potato in half.
- Put in the microwave and cook for about six minutes. The actual time may vary according to both the size of the potato and the power of the microwave. Goal is for it to be almost but not quite cooked.
- While the potato cooks, quarter both the mushrooms and tomatoes. Arrange on sides of two small plates (about 20cm/8in) that can go in the microwave.
- Take the almost cooked potato carefully from the microwave. Use a a cloth or oven glove as it will be hot.
- Slice the potato into two roughly equal pieces then place in the centre of each plate.
- Top with the thin sliced cheese.
- Return to the microwave for 2-3 minutes to finish the cooking.
- The plates will be hot so remove carefully and put onto a heat proof surface.
- Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper then enjoy the food.
An alternative way to do this is to part cook the potato in advance then keep cool. If the oven happens to be hot when food is needed then the finishing touches could be applied in there rather than the microwave too.