Italian Meringue is the third in the meringue series and one of the most popular. This silky topping is great! Try it for yourself and see.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites, beaten very stiff
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, salt and 1⁄4 cup of the boiling water together. Bring to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Cook to the soft ball stage (240°F/115°C)
- Pour the syrup over the egg whites in a fine stream. Beat with a hand-held mixer the whole time.
- Beat until the mixture is firm.
- Add the vanilla and beat in thoroughly.