Hoppin’ John is an absolutely delicious, traditionally New Years Day dish emanating from the South in the USA.
This particular version is vegetarian and is a treat to enjoy.
- 1 can black eyed peas or 1 pound dry black eyed peas, soaked overnight (Cook them per package directions)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- cooked rice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste (optional)
- Cut the pepper in half and remove the seeds. Proceed to cut into 1/2″ strips then crosswise into squares. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot, put the oil and minced garlic. Simmer until the garlic becomes fragrant. Add the diced tomatoes, juice and all. Continue to simmer.
- Rinse the beans and add them to the tomatoes. Continue to simmer while you prepare and cook the rice.
- When the rice is cooked, place a mound on a plate and cover with the tomato/bean mixture.
- Sprinkle over the top the diced green peppers and top that with the shredded mozzarella cheese. MMMM, I can taste it now!!!