Just the thought of having this homemade salsa makes my mouth begin to water. Once you make this, you will never go back to store bought!
- 2 Jalapeño peppers
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
- 1 lime
- 1 onion
- salt to taste
- Dice each of the Roma tomatoes and place them into a bowl. Chop the cilantro and add that to the diced tomatoes.
- Cut and dice the onion in a small dice and add that to the bowl.
- Cut, deseed and dice very fine, the Jalapeño peppers. If you are wanting a milder taste, devein the peppers as well. Otherwise, keep the veins intact with the pepper.
- Roll the lime on the countertop to soften and breaking up the lime cell walls to extract more juice. Pour all over the ingredients in the bowl.
- Mix everything together well. Salt to taste. Enjoy!
Caution: Due to the capsicum content, Jalapeño peppers are very hot on tender skin. Consider using latex gloves when you work with them. Never touch your eyes until you have scrubbed your hands free from the Jalapeño juice. Even then, be cautious. It will burn!
Note: If you are unable to find the Roma (paste) tomatoes, any kind of tomato is usable, however you will wind up with a lot more juice in the finished product. Since the Roma tomatoes are typically quite a bit smaller, you may wish to cut the number of regular tomatoes down to 3 instead.