So why did I use pitta?
Simply because it keeps better than regular bread so I waste less. Living alone means that I will often find that regular bread will go bad before the full loaf is finished. Pitta can be kept for much longer and is easier to freeze too.
Perhaps I prefer regular bread over pitta but convenience and avoiding waste are both important things to consider too..
Preparation Time: 5 mins
- 1 hard boiled Egg
- 2 slices Ham of choice
- 3-4 Tbsp Baked Beans
- 1 Pitta Bread
- Black Pepper or Paprika
- Shell the egg then chop coarsely. Set to one side.
- Put the baked beans into either a small pan or a microwaveable container. Heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Toast the pitta bread according to preference. I like it to be still fairly soft but others prefer a crisper finish. Once done then set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Slice the pitta open then place each slice onto a serving plate.
- Layer the ham on top of the pitta slices.
- Spoon on the beans.
- Add the egg around the edges.
- Add a little salt to taste.
- Sprinkle on a little pepper or paprika according to preference.
- Serve and Enjoy
Add a little extra to this by grating on a cheese of your choice. Put under a hot grill/broiler to melt the cheese for a more luxurious taste.