I have the freezer slightly too full with fish so that means that it is time to cook some of it. Be a little different and cook up a Fishy Sweet n Sour.
I had the Sweet n Sour Sauce in the cupboard already so that part was easy. Bored with potatoes because I had used them quite a lot recently. So make this one something based on rice.
Cook it all up in the pressure cooker to make things even simpler. It actually amazed me just how much I ended up with. Way more than I could eat in one sitting although that was what it was originally supposed to be.
Serves 2-3 as cooked depending on appetite.
This started out just being intended as a meal for 1 person. Yet what came from the pan was easily enough food for 2 or even 3 people. It is a great combination of fish and a sweet and sour sauce. Cooking in a pressure cooker makes the preparation very straightforward. A great success from the Experimental Chefs kitchen
- 1 piece frozen White Fish around 125g/4oz
- 1 small Brown Onion
- Handful chopped mixed Peppers
- Handful sliced Mushrooms
- About 5 Tbsp Long Grain Rice
- ½ Jar Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Put the piece of fish into the pressure cooker pot.
- Add the rice.
- Peel and chop the onion then put into the pot.
- Add in the peppers and the mushrooms.
- Pour in the half jar of Sweet and Sour Sauce.
- Add in a cupful of water. My meaning for cup is a regular sized coffee mug. The rice needs it to properly cook so be sure to add plenty.
- Add in a little salt to taste.
- Seal the pressure cook then set over the hob. Bring the heat up until the weight is dancing nicely then cook for 20-25 minutes. Give the put an occasional shake to make sure that things arent sticking inside it though.
- The fun part with a pressure cooker and that is getting the food out of it in a safe way. It does depend a little on the model that you have so do be aware of that. One simple solution is to run the pot under the cold tap until the steam has reduced. That was the approach that my mum used. The model I have has a valve that lets me release the steam in a controlled way. Takes some care because it still gets very hot but it gets the pressure down fairly quickly.
- Only you know your pressure cooker so that means that you are in the best position to know how to reduce the pressure in it. Once you have done so then the food is ready to serve. Simply spoon it out onto plates and start eating.
Liven up the appearance on the plate by adding some side vegetables. Carrots and Peas will both add some colour. Green Beans and Broccoli would do the same.