Fish is supposed to be for Friday for some reason lost in the mists of time.
Today was a Saturday and I felt like eating fish and therefore came up with this Fish Sweet n Sour.
It was great too. Some tender white fish with a mixture of vegetables all topped with a sweet n sour sauce. OK I cheated with the sauce because it came from a jar. Still tasted great though.
Try it out or something similar. I am sure that you will be impressed.
The recipe is just how I made it. Nothing is fixed even for me. If I make this again then the exact ingredients would be different.
Ideas for a meal bouncing around my head until I finally came up with this Fish Sweet n Sour. Great combination of vegetables plus fish plus sweet n sour sauce. Using the steamer makes it something that is very easy to cook too.
- 1 white Fish Fillet
- 1 small Brown Onion
- 1 small Carrot
- 2 small Potatoes
- Green beans
- 200ml Sweet n Sour Sauce
- Start by priming the steamer with sufficient water to cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Slice the potato quite thickly then put into the first steamer basket.
- Slice the carrot and put alongside the potato.
- Peel the onion then quarter it. Add to the basket.
- Add in the cauliflower and green beans. Use as much as suits your appetite.
- Done for the veggie part so put the second steamer basket on top of the first.
- Put the fish in to the second basket.
- Pour the sweet n sour sauce into something heat proof then cover. Fairly tight to keep the steam from getting in but avoid totally sealing. Set that alongside the fish.
- My steamer bonus - I've got a third layer so I put six eggs into that and set it on top to make some hard boiled eggs for another day.
- Cover and turn the steamer on. Let everything cook for about 30 minutes.
- Once the time is up then time to assemble. Start by putting the eggs into a bowl of cold water if you were cooking them.
- Move the basket with the fish and sweet n sour sauce to one side so that you can get at the vegetables. Spoon them out onto a serving plate. You can go for visual appeal at this point. By that I mean that you spoon each out separately onto the plate. Or you can just put the whole mixture onto the plate. It makes no difference to the final taste.
- Add the piece of fish then pour over the sweet n sour sauce.
- Sit down and eat a delicious Fish Sweet n Sour Dinner
I would mostly stick with the vegetable mix in this recipe just as it is. The cauliflower has effect that only it can while the carrots add colour, The green beans could be replaced by peas or broad beans though.