There are many different ways to make Fish n Chips. The very best come from a good chippy though those are few and far between these days. This version is oven cooked and served with processed peas and mint sauce. The peas act as a sauce so that no other is needed though either tomato ketchup or brown sauce could have been added Just sprinkle on a little for a great meal
The traditional British Classic of Fish n n Chips served with Peas and Mint.
Not quite traditional as it is cooked in the oven because that is often easier than deep frying when making a meal at home
- 4 frozen White Fish in Batter
- 450g/1lb frozen Chips (french fries)
- 2 300g cans Processed Peas
- Mint Sauce
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- Put the pieces of fish onto a baking tray.
- Sprinkle the chips onto a second tray.
- Open the 2 cans of peas and empty the contents into an ovenproof dish.
- Once the oven is heated then put all three into it. Set the fish at the top then the chips on the next level and finish with the peas at the bottom.
- Cook for about 15 minutes then it is time for a little turning and stirring.
- Carefully turn the fish over so both sides will cook to a crisp finish.
- Mix the chips around to get them well cooked.
- Give the peas a stir to be sure they are not sticking to the dish. Add a little extra water if they seem to have dried.
- Return all to the oven and cook for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Remove then divide the Fish n Chips n Peas between 4 serving plates.
- Add about 1tsp of mint sauce onto the peas on each plate.
- Serve with a pot of salt on the table for each diner to add according to taste..
One way to vary the taste of this a little is to add the mint to the peas at the start of cook rather than time of serving. The mint then soaks into the peas rather than being on top of them.