Tonight I felt like eating Fish n Chips. Not surprising really as I am a Brit and it is a staple food for people in our lands. Easily done really because I had the fish, the chips and the mushy peas all there to cook into that British classic meal.
I decided on a change that still followed the basic idea but introduced a lot more experimental cooking.
Fish n Chips ends up as something slightly different with this experiment.
Mixed salad with lemon juice and pepper as the base. Battered Fish on top. Parsnips instead of potato for the chips. Some Brussels Sprouts for additional vegetables. Then finish off with a little salad cream.
Fish n Chips n Mushy Peas is a great meal but it can get a little samey if eaten too often. This is very close to the standard fish n chips but different enough to be of easy appeal.
This is that old stalwart of British food served up in a somewhat different form. Still Fish n Chips with the fish very much at the centre of the dish. Chips made from parsnip instead of regular potato and both on a Mixed Salad base. Add some brussels sprouts too to increase the vegetable count towards the five a day. Fantastic end result that might leave you never wanting to return to traditional fish n chips.
- 1 piece White Fish in Batter
- 2 medium size Parsnips
- 6-8 Brussels Sprouts
- Mixed Salad
- Lemon Juice
- Salad Cream or Mayonnaise
- Put the fish into an ovenproof dish.
- If using frozen then just add the parsley chips. If using fresh then peel and chop first.
- Add the brussels sprouts.
- Put into the oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for about 35 minutes.
- Put some mixed salad into a serving bowl. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper then mix well.
- Once they finish cooking then add the fish, salad and brussels onto the top of the salad mixture.
- Add on a tablespoon or two of salad cream.
- Sprinkle on a little extra salt then eat your Fish n Chips with a difference.while still lot. It is a great taste experience.
Use what is available to make the mixed salad base. Supermarkets sell them in differing forms so the end result will vary if you use one of them. Alternatively you can just chop some from other things that you have available.