Now this meal is far removed from what can be really called cooking. It was made using the backup supplies that I have in the freezer. That said, Fish, Chips and Carrots is a decent meal any day of the week.
This is cooked in the oven to avoid adding the extra fat that frying would bring.
This version makes for a fairly basic meal but I have included a couple of options that I sometimes use that will add more to it.
More stodgy British fish and chips! This time with carrots and mayonnaise instead of my more usual mushy peas and brown sauce. I must be getting posh in my old age
- 1 portion White Fish in Breadcrumbs
- A handful of frozen Chips (French Fries)
- A handful of frozen Baby Carrots
- (Optional) 1 tsp Butter
- (Optional) ¼ Dried Herbs
- (Optional) 1 clove Garlic
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- Place the fish, chips and carrots into an ovenproof dish. Skip on if you choose to do the basic version.
- Garlic or herbs with butter will enhance the flavour of the the carrots. Peel and crush the garlic then mash with the butter. Or mash the herbs into the butter. Use garlic and herbs for even more flavour.
- Dot the butter/garlic/herb mix onto the carrots in the dish.
- Put the dish in the hot oven for about 30 minutes. If you have added in the butter mixture then stir the carrots after about 15 minutesto get them nicely coated.
- On to a serving plate with a tablespoon of mayonnaise to serve. Sprinkle on a little salt and dinner is ready to go
This is very much one of what I term my fallback recipes. By that I mean it is food that I cook when I am in a rush. The thing is that it works to get a reasonably decent meal when I may otherwise have gone hungry.