Trust me when I say that this is an Egg and Tomato Salad Toastie because it most certainly is. The bread may be somewhat hidden but it is there. Look closely and there are signs of it peeking out.
Some cooked rice adds extra substance then a sprinkling of mint adds some great flavour. A little vinaigrette to moisten and we have lunch.
Various choices on dressing with this so look on to see how we did it with this one.
This Egg and Tomato Salad Toastie makes for a great lunch if you have done a little preparation in advance. Most of the ingredients will just need a quick wash and cut. The rice and the egg need to be cooked in advance though.
Never fear because they keep well in the fridge. Cook up extra of each then chill for use in dishes like this.
- Two slices Wholemeal Bread
- Butter or Olive Spread
- 1 large Tomato
- 1 hard boiled Egg
- 4-6 slices Cucumber
- Sprinkling of Lettuce to cover
- 2-3 heaped Tbsp cooked Rice
- 1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp chopped Mint
- Black Pepper
- Toast the bread until lightly browned. I find an electric toaster is the easiest way but the grill/broiler works too. Allow to cool a little then spread with butter or olive spread or use something similar of your choice.
- Place one piece of toast bread in the middle of a serving plate. Halve the other slice then place to each side of the first.
- Shred some lettuce and add to the middle bread. I used a bought mixture that was ready to use but you could just as easily shred some whole lettuce leaves to use.
- Shell the egg then halve and place on top of the lettuce in ith middle.
- Slice off some cucumber and arrange at the edges. About 4 slices is a good guide but use a little more if needed.
- Cut the tomato into chunks. The pictured one was pretty big so it was easy to get 8 chunks from it though I ended up eating two of them without getting to the plate. Smaller tomatoes may only give 4 pieces which might mean using a second one.
- Add the tomato at the edge of the plate. Build it almost to a wall at one side for the next step.
- Spoon some cooked and chilled rice onto the plate against the wall of tomatoes.
- Finally spoon over the vinegar and oil. Then add mint plus salt and pepper. If preferred then mix these together in a cup or glass before use. In truth that can work better as it allows the flavours to be adjusted.
- Serve immediately before the bread gets very soggy from the dressing.
Prepare this slightly in advance of mealtime by simply omitting the salad dressing used until ready to eat. Just put everything else onto the plate then cover and refrigerate until hunger occurs. Take from the fridge, uncover add the dressing then eat!
Of course the flavour can easily be changed by varying the ingredients that are in the dressing. Cider Vinegar would get a different flavour as one thought. I happened to use Red Wine Vinegar this time.