Deliciously easy to make yet both healthy and filling. An egg salad sandwich will easily fill you for lunch. Just a few ingredients that you should already have in the fridge then a few minutes to assemble. This is a simple version with only the addition of lettuce and cucumber for the salad. More can be added to make a bigger salad if you choose.
This makes a sandwich for 1 person but it can easily be scaled up to feed several. Prepare the eggs in advance so that they are already chilled and ready to be used in a salad. I make up a batch when I am cooking other things then keep them in the fridge until needed.
- 1 hard boiled Egg
- 2 slices Wholemeal Bread
- Shredded Lettuce
- Cucumber (around a 2.5cm/1in piece)
- Butter or Olive Spread
- Mayonnaise or Salad Cream
- Thinly spread each of the slices of bread with the butter or olive spread.
- Spread around a teaspoon of mayonnaise or salad cream onto one slice the set that on one side.
- Shred the lettuce quite fine, Tearing it with hands is the best approach.
- Slice the cucumber into 5 or 6 pieces.
- Shell and slice the egg.
- Put the second slice of bread onto a kitchen board then begin to assemble the sandwich.
- Sprinkle lettuce over in an even layer then add the slices of cucumber.
- Put the slices of egg on top.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with the mayo coated slice of bread then cut in two. I prefer a diagonal cut but some prefer to cut right through the middle.
- Serve with a beverage of your choice.
This is a fairly simple salad that could be enhanced with the addition of tomatoes or other vegetables. Your choice on exactly what to add because it is still delicious in its simplicity.