- 1 Pitta bread, either plain or flavoured
- A handful of mixed salad. UK supermarkets do some good ones that are typically lettuce, carrot, red cabbage and white cabbage.
- 1 hard boiled egg, shelled
- 2-3 tablespoons Cottage Cheese
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Lightly grill or toast the Pitta Bread until it is just beginning to puff up a little. I tend to do this in my toaster. It saves turning on the grill although the downside is the need to turn the pitta a couple of times so it cooks to a soft consistency.
- Slice the pitta open and set aside for a few minutes to cool.
- Slice the hard boiled egg. The best way is to have a dedicated egg slicer which has wires that will easily do the job. A sharp kitchen knife can also be used although I find it much harder to get good results using this approach.
- Take the now cooled pitta then fill it around ⅓ full with the salad mix.
- Add in the slices of egg, spacing them evenly along the length of the pitta.
- Top with Cottage Cheese to a level that is below the top of the pitta. It makes for very messy eating if there is too much in there.
- Grate some black pepper over the cottage cheese and you have an Egg Salad Pitta with Cottage Cheese that is ready to eat.
If a large pitta is used then this comes very close to being a meal for dinner. It is also a very quick and easy lunch to prepare. Also an easy lunchbox item because all it needs is to prepare a little extra for a salad dinner then use the extra to prepare this. Just wrap well and chill for a good lunch the following day.