Make up an Egg Beetroot Pitta for lunch and be set for the afternoon!
Very simple and quick to make too. Adding an a little lettuce adds to the mix.
It is best made then eaten immediately otherwise the beetroot juices soak into the pitta and make it rather soggy.
This Egg Beetroot Pitta is an ideal lunch when the ingredients are to hand. A crunchy lettuce is better for the eating experience but any can be used.
This version uses plain cooked beetroot. Pickled could be used for a somewhat different flavour.
- 1 Pitta Bread
- 1 hard boiled Egg
- 1 small cooked Beetroot (about 2½/1in diameter)
- A few lettuce leaves
- Heat the pitta until it puffs up to form a pocket. Use either the toaster or grill/broiler according to preference. Set onto a plate and leave to cool.
- Shred the lettuce quite finely.
- Shell the egg then slice.
- Slice the beetroot fairly thinly.
- The pitta should be cool to the touch now. Cut open to form a pocket.
- Put some lettuce into the bottom of the pitta pocket.
- Add the slices of egg on top of them.
- Top with the sliced beetroot.
- Add salt to taste then serve and enjoy