The memories dandelion salad evokes is one of great joy from my childhood! There are so many ways to “dress” this up, but below is a favorite of the Pennsylvania Dutch community.
My favorite vegetarian way will follow…
- young dandelion greens preferred
- 4 thick slices bacon
- ½ cup cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 Tablespoons vinegar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- black pepper
- Wash dandelions and pick over carefully. Roll in cloth and pat dry. Put into a salad bowl and set in warm place.
- Cut bacon in small cubes, fry quickly and pour over dandelions.
- Put butter and cream into a skillet and melt over low heat.
- Beat eggs, add salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar, then mix with the slightly warm cream mixture.
- Cook over high heat until dressing is quite thick.
- Pour, very hot, over the dandelions, stir well and serve.
My favorite way to do a dressing is very simple… just take extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar and/or fresh lemon juice, and toss it with the dandelion greens. A touch of salt and pepper and you’re done! YUMMY!!