One of the problems with cooking for only one person is that there is a tendency to end up with leftovers. So I had some rice and some curry sauce in the fridge that needed using up. Apply some creative thought and here comes Curried Egg and Mushrooms.
A little more than just that but the egg and mushrooms are the basic ingredients.
Take some leftover rice and curry sauce, add in some mushrooms then peas and onion for some flavour. Cook in an egg to end up with a delicious meal for 1. It will work for more if the quantities are multiplied up. Cooking times for the final part will need to be longer too.
- 1 large Egg
- 2 large Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp frozen Peas
- 1 small Brown Onion
- 125g/4oz cooked Rice
- 80ml/5Tbsp Curry Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Put the olive oil in a fry pan over a medium heat.
- Peel then roughly chop the onion.
- Slice or chop the mushrooms.
- The oil should now be heated so add the onion and peas to the the pan. Stir well so mix. Allow to fry for 2-3 minutes stirring often.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and mix in so they can fry.
- Break the egg into a cup or small bowl then beat to an even yellow. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the beaten egg into the pan and stir vigorously. They should be starting to cook to a texture similar to scrambled eggs.
- Add in the rice and stir well. Keep heating for a few more minutes so it is heating through.
- Finally, mix in the curry sauce. Stir until a taste of the mixtures says that it is at a temeperature to eat.
Cooking for leftovers is a great way to end up with a meal for the following day. It saves money as well for most people because cooking double still has that cooker using the same amount of power. Cook ahead so that you make the money saving!