Mushrooms are one of my favourite vegetables.They combine wonderfully with milk in this recipe. The resulting Cream of Mushroom Soup can be used as a delicious lunch or as a Starter with a Dinner.
Using Red Onion gives an interesting twist because of the colour that they add. White Onion is equally tasty though.
- 250g/½lb white mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion
- 25g/1oz butter
- 500ml/1 pint Vegetable stock
- 500ml/1 pint Jersey milk.
- Chopped fresh Parsley
- Sea Salt
- Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms. With larger mushrooms, I cut off the stalks and chop them separately.
- In a large pan, gently melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Stir the onion into the melted butter. Fry for a few minutes, stirring all the time. Around 2-3 minutes is what is needed here.
- Add the mushrooms in with the onions and continue stirring as they both soften.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pan and bring to the boil .
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for around 5 minutes.
- Pour in the milk then heat gently to bring this delicious Cream of Mushroom Soup to a serving temperature.
- Stir in sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste.
- Coarsely blend the soup. Bits of mushroom and onion should still be present
- Ladle into four soup bowls and sprinkle with fresh parsley on.
- Serve with heated pitta bread or a bread of your choice.
White onion can be used if the colour effect of the red onion is not to your taste. Try sprinkling with other herbs instead of parsley when serving too. That is an experiment with the flavour and personal preferences are important.