Coffee cake is good any time of the day… and with this recipe including coffee in the batter, you have the best of both worlds!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour/plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped fine
- 1 cup extra strong coffee
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 Tablespoons melted shortening or butter
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Stir in the chopped walnuts and dates.
- Combine coffee, shortening, baking soda and egg. Stir to mix.
- Pour into the dry ingredients all at once. Stir only enough to dampen the ingredients.
- Turn into a greased and floured loaf pan and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Bake in a 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 oven for 1 hour or until done.